Friday, April 13, 2012

Hojas Azules

I remember long ago reading a very striking story about a man who is abruptly asked by a stranger whether he has a blue eyes; apparently the stranger's girlfriend had demanded of him una rama de hojas azules, which he had misheard. So, being somewhat psychopathic, he was going around trying to get her una rama de ojos azules, which is, shall we say, somewhat different. I haven't ever come across it again; if anyone knows it, let me know the author.

The hojas azules are interesting in themselves. I've only ever heard the phrase 'hojas azules' in connection with acacia plants, which doesn't quite sound right; but it has indeed been a long time since I've read the story. It's also possible that she really wanted something like a porcelain bowl with blue-leaf tracery, but if so I don't actually remember that; all I remember is the branch of blue leaves -- and the branch of blue eyes.